Staying Healthy when Traveling
Traveling can be stressful when you are trying to eat healthy and exercise, but with a little planning, it can be a relaxing and fun experience that can improve your health! Here are my top 5 goals for traveling:
1. Exercise every morning-you can do a tabata workout or something in your hotel room (see workout below). You can also go for a walk, take a class if they have a fitness center or lift weights. This is your chance to do something different than your usual routine, which is great for your body!
Here is a great hotel room workout: set a timer for 1 minute intervals and do 15 exercises-you can do 1 or 2 rounds:
- bicycle crunches
- jumping jacks
- high knees (run in place with high knees)
- tricep pushups
- alternating lunges
- mountain climbers
- crunches with feet up
- plie squat
- shoulder press (get into downward dog and drop your head down to to near the ground as you bend your elbows and then push back up to downward dog-this really works your shoulders)
- jump squats
- side plank left 30 sec, right 30 sec
2. The main goal for nutrition is don’t overeat-you can choose some fun things that you usually don’t eat, enjoy every bite, eat slowly, chew thoroughly and stop before you think you should-just when you are satisfied, not full. Small, flavorful desserts are great-share with someone or just have 1-2 bites.
3. Focus mainly on healthy, fresh food-fruits and veggies, and proteins. Making sure you get a fruit and/or veggie with all of your meals will help you not overeat other foods.
4. Bring some healthy snacks-nuts and fruit are great and portable. You can find a store when you get there to buy some healthy snacks and water.
5. Drink plenty of water-traveling often dehydrates you, so be sure you are drinking water throughout the day.
Have fun and don’t stress about being healthy-this should be your lifestyle, so you are not “on” or “off” a diet or plan. If you stick with your healthy lifestyle, you will feel better each day of your vacation, skip the guilt, and come back renewed and refreshed!